The Franciscans established themselves near the 5th Station of the Via Dolorosa
1309 Decree of Bibars II which permitted them to live in the Cenacle, the Sepulchre,
and in Bethlehem
Service and humble life at the Holy Sepulchre Church
Foundation of the convent at the Cenacle
Canonical erection of the Custody of the Holy Land by Pope Clement VI
Definitive occupation at the sanctuary of the Nativity
Possession of the Tomb of the Virgin, until 1757
Recovery of the Grotto of the Apostles, north of the Garden of Gethsemane
1485 Ein Kerem:
Acquisition of the place of the Birth of St. John the Baptist. A church is
built in 1621.
Expulsion from the friary at the Cenacle
The headquarters of the Custody passes to the new convent of St. Savior
Acquisition of the ruins of the sanctuary of the Annunciation. A church is
built in 1730.
1631 Mt. Tabor:
Acquisition of the ruins of the sanctuary of the Transfiguration. A chapel is
built in 1736.
Beginning of negotiations for acquiring Cana in Galilee, which were completed
in 1879. Church built in 1880.
Acquisition of Garden of Gethsemane. Present basilica was built between 1919
1679 Ein Kerem:
Acquisition of sanctuary of the Visitation. Church built between 1938 and 1940.
Acquisition of the Crusader ruins of the sanctuary of the Nutrition (St.
Joseph). First chapel 1754; present church 1911-1914.
Acquisition of the place of the Flagellation. Chapel built in 1839.
The chapel of St. Cleopas donated by the Marquess P. Nicolay and built in 1872.
Present basilica built in 1901.
Acquisition of the sanctuary where the widow's son was raised. Chapel built in
Bethphage sanctuary acquired. Chapel built in 1883.
Acquisition of 5th Station, Dominus Flevit; in Galilee, Tabgha and Magdala.
Capernaum acquired. Synagogue restored in 1921.
1909 Bethlehem (Beit Sahur):
Shepherds Bela is acquired. Chapel built between 1953 and 1954.
On the shores of the Jordan River, acquisition of the site of Jesus baptism.
The new convent at the Cenacle is built on Mt. Zion.
Bethany sanctuary recovered. Shrine of St. Lazarus built 1952.